Forsythia

pomonaflowerMay 8, 2014

Two years ago I planted three Forsythia shrubs along our lot line. One was from a nursery and the other two cost $1 each at an Aldi grocery store. Last fall, the "nursery" shrub re-bloomed and I have no idea why. This spring, the re-bloomer is bone- bare, no leaves, no flowers. The $1 shrubs are lush, green and flowered like crazy.

I'm thinking the nursery shrub is gone and, luckily, the others have some "rooters" I can put in its place but I'd sure like to know what happened and why. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

No telling....but there is a last ditch effort to flower and reproduce sometimes.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Forsythia will sometimes bloom a bit in the fall. I don't know what causes that. We had a colder winter than we have had in several years. I think all my crepe myrtle will be coming up from the bottom. Plants that made it through winter for years have been damaged this year. If you like your bargain forsythia, it is easy to propagate. You can take cuttings and keep them watered until the small plants have a root system. Or you can bend some branches down weight them down with a rock and the branch will probably grow roots. We are in a drought. Small plants take more care so if you do this keep them watered. Some improved varieties of forsythia have larger brighter flowers so you may want to invest in an improved one. The cost of a small shrub of something as easy as forsythia may be worth it. The ones from the grocery store may be fine though.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
looking for certain pepper
Howdy, Ozark gardeners. I am looking for seeds of a...
strongeagle
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Forsythia Sage
$52.97 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Forsythia Sage
$92.80 | Home Depot
Fermata Executive Mesh Chair with Black Base - WMCEXFB_5820
$463.99 | Hayneedle
Forsythia Bush D├ęcor