Cool weather, organics, etc.

rutgers1(6NJ)November 4, 2007

I know that the general consensus here is that organics are not best for fall use, and while I agree, I can't help but notice that my leaves (which are mulched by my mower) are decomposing very quickly lately. It appears that the microbes are alive and well in New Jersey despite some cooler weather.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

There are microbes that work in cool weather/soil. In the spring often when the snow melts there will be snow mold. That mold is a fungus that thrives with little light and cold temps.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 2:02PM
deerslayer(Z5 NE IL KBG)

As DCHall stated, many microbes continue to function in cooler weather. Snow mold is one of them. However, the microbes that decompose organic fertilizers dramatically reduce their activity when soil temperatures drop below 50F. This occurred in the past few days in NE Illinois.

-Deerslayer

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 2:24PM
rutgers1(6NJ)

Thanks for the responses. Is there a place on the web to get soil temperatures for different parts of the country? I am too lazy to take my lawn's temperature, lol.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 6:03PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I remember reading/hearing that soil temp is closely related to AVERAGE night time low temps. Does anyone else recall anything about that? I'm not sure how that can make sense given the differences in moisture and shade.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 9:10PM
morpheuspa

Yes, you can get the soil moisture and temp from the link here. I selected the closest to Rutgers that I saw, but you may want to poke around.

Our soil temperatures at the 2" layer are spiking well above 50 during the day. That's going to flex downward this week as temperatures cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: SCAN Information Mahantango PA

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Using scotts weed and feed on organic lawn
Hi All, I have about 5000 sqft of lawn. Last 1.5 years...
gmanar
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather
andyx123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™