What is it with all these pop-up ads with LOUD music.

rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)March 10, 2007

What is it with all these pop-up ads with LOUD music.

I have used computers for over 30 years and never had any problems. Now, chasing the "skip" buttons on these ads, I am getting carpal tunnel. When a company does things that are harmful to their customers, they are trying to go out of business.

On one add you can mute the sound. On another when you mute the sound, it opens another window which is even louder. They are OBNOXIOUS. These ads can kill this forum. That would be a shame. This forum has done so much good. Why do they have to be so greedy?!?!?!? The banner ads and sides are no problem and are warmly received. But these pop-up ads are totally OBNOXIOUS and will bring ill will toward the misguided sponsors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo(z6/7)

I am not getting any pop up ads at all.....

Maybe you need to turn a pop-up blocker on your browser? Do you use IE or Netscape or another browser? All have the option of blocking pop-ups.

Please find a way to eliminate the pop-ups, we don't want you to leave because of them. Take a look at the COmputer Help Forum, there are lots of possible solutions and if you don't see one that fits your particular set-up the folks there are really smart and happy to help!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help Forum

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 1:05PM
caliloo(z6/7)

And it may be because you have spyware that ahs infected your machine. Try running AdAware or CrapCleaner to remove them and see if that helps.

Alexa

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 1:06PM
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

alexa? crap cleaner? i never heard of that one.

lately i've been getting the south beach and another one that you can't get to the skip button anymore. i have turned the speakers down.

guess i need to run cleanup -- but i am going to check on crap cleaner (laughing)

maryanne

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 5:41PM
caliloo(z6/7)

LOL! Yep, crapcleaner.

A totally techie geek friend of mine told me about it and suggested I run it weekly or so... it seems to help a LOT!

BTW - it is freeware, but I usually send a donation for a product (like this) that I REALLY like and use.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: CrapCleaner

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 5:49PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I am using Firefox on a Mac. Firefox has a "pop-up" blocker but it doesn't stop the iVillage popups. After reading your success stories I checked the Mozilla website and found an add-on that does the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock Plus for Firefox

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 7:41PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

rhodyman - try that one and also an extension called "RIP" as well as "Flashblock". Those take care of everything here and about 99% of stuff at other sites.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™