Crocus flowers eaten... by what?

rosie_pa(Central PA z6)March 18, 2006

Does anyone know what eats crocus flowers? Each day I find the petals on the ground and some of the stems look bitten... have never had this before. I'm in a new location this year and my yard is fenced. Is it birds, squirrels, rabbits?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Probably squirrels. Crocuses are their favourite bulb. I even had squirrels try munching on daffodils! They gave up quickly, but not before ruining the flowers.

Warning, if you have lilies, they love to chew on newly emerging lily shoots. I cover mine with 2 L. pop bottles with the bottoms cut out.

By the time the lilies are tall enough to be cramped in the bottles, the squirrels usually aren't interested any more.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 2:52PM
garden_grammie(SE Pa.)

I think it is the squirrels. I don't even bother to plant tulips any more, because those suckers just wait until the buds are getting ready to open and then snap them off and leave them behind! Arghhh!!!!!!!

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 8:32AM
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Grammie, I've heard that they turn their noses up at the botanical tulips. You might try a couple. This will be my first spring for tulips, because I lived in an area positively infested with squirrels. I could never look out the window or door without seeing one - or more! - rooting through my flowerbeds and pots. There are not so many here, but old habits die hard. Bloodmeal is also an effective deterrent, but it has to be reapplied frequently.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 10:55AM
garden_grammie(SE Pa.)

Thanks Jane. I will try that next year. I love tulips. Where do you get the botanical tulips?

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 5:37PM
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Grammie, ask in the bulb forum. I live in Canada (but will probably be moving to PA next year), so I don't know American suppliers.

Janet

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 6:27PM
gardenguy_(z6b PA)

Definitely squirrels. I had the same problem, couldn't figure out if it was the dog itself or something else. One morning we let the dog out for her break. ( fenced in yard ). About a minute after we let her out, we hear a little bit of barking then silence. I looked out the window and she had a dead squirrel in her mouth. Our crocuses are fine now. : )

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 12:21AM
rosie_pa(Central PA z6)

I finally did see the squirrels in action. I didn't realize they bothered vegitation... I thought they only ate bulbs and emptied the birdfeeders. ~Rosie

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 6:32AM
Kathy46(Z6 Pa)

I think right now the squirrels may be digging up and eating the bulbs for water it's been so dry. I am keeping 3 birdbaths filled to keep the little vermin happy.They still dig though.

Kathy

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Wild Garlic questions
I recently bought a house that has some plants that...
melochip
My poor Cherry Laurel
My Otto Luykens used to be so, so beautiful. Last...
Elaine Daly
Milkweed in SEPA
I'm interested in planting milkweed to attract butterflies,...
annld
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
Sponsored Products
Mehkar Knotted Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Traditional Tiffany Style Large Flower Stained Glass Shade Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Large White Hairhide Ottoman
$1,500.00 | Horchow
Fire Flower Throw Blanket
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Collection Arcade 2
$58.97 | Home Depot
Weatherwise Round Patio Planter
Signature Hardware
Silk 20-inch Mini Calla Lily Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Pink Floral Silk Shade 2.25x5x5.25 (Clip-On)
$49.91 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™