bulbs in container help....please

earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)March 26, 2013

this is the first year i put bulbs in containers...daffs, hyacinth, tulips, etc. couldn't resist, hit a killer sale at an opportune time. anyway, put bunches in the ground and then the rest in about a dozen different containers, all at the right depth, etc.

all the bulbs in the ground around my property are peeking through, even with this insane weather, but not a lick of anything green, tip or otherwise, popping up in the containers.

any ideas...do these take longer?

thanks
maryanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

Did you store the containers out of the weather or outside? They may have frozen, then got waterlogged - which will kill the bulbs.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 7:34PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Yeah, cold muck kills bulbs. Most of those bulbs originate on the steppes with a sort of cold Mediterranean climate. The well draining soil gets most of its water in the winter, but it drains fast. Summers are hot and dry, so the plant hibernates. The bulbs have a better chance making it through the winter in pots clustered above ground. If you tarp them, rodents get in. The bulbs are tougher than you think. A zone 6/7 winter is fine for them to weather.

I would dig around gently and lift the pots out. You may find some growth. Good for you on scarfing cheap bulbs. I did too last fall at a big box store, and they look great this spring (or what is passing for spring here in PA).

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:41PM
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

i planted them in containers, large enough to give them plenty of depth, etc., and they are outside. i did not plant the containers, just the bulbs in the containers. i will check later on to see if anything is happening. i'll cry if they all perished...lots of bulbs, lots of containers, even on sale, still would be money wasted. hoping for the best, thanks for the responses.

maryanne

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Sponsored Products
'Dai Torchiere' Oil Rubbed Bronze Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Lighthouse View Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Toto Wooden Doll - Martta - Artek
$249.00 | HORNE
Bruck | Cristello Down Pendant Light
$476.25 | YLighting
Kristall Bronze Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Glitter Glass
$234.00 | Bellacor