Tree Or Weed ID Please

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)May 10, 2014

I am new to this home and want to do some yard, landscape trimming. Is this a weed or a tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

It looks like a small tree to me. If I could smell it and see the buds, I might say walnut.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:25AM
gldno1

Could be a native walnut tree.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 11:04AM
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if I can move it as it is too close to my deck. Do you think that would kill it?

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 9:54AM
gldno1

If the ground is good and wet or you soak it really well, I would risk it. If not, wait until it is dormant this fall (no leaves and good cold has set in) and then move it. You don't want it near a deck or actually even in the yard because of the falling nuts (way in the future) Also most things will not grow under a walnut because of something the roots exude.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 4:15PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I had a huge walnut tree in my yard which I had removed after a scare in the Joplin tornado. I thought I might miss the big beautiful tree but now I wish I had removed it sooner. Walnut trees have caterpillars which rain droppings. The walnuts have to be picked up or they trip you. The leaves have a midrib which remains after the leaf rots turning into little sticks all over. Little walnut trees come up in your yard and in the field where they wash and if you don't get them out they soon have a big tap root which makes them hard to dig out. Lots of plants won't grow under them especially tomatoes as Glenda said.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 5:33PM
RogerSan

I think that is a Hickory if I am not mistaken. I have been running through the ones on my property as well I either have those or oak trees so that is my best guess...You might have to wait to determine the type or look around for nuts on the ground to see if you find any seeds.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:20PM
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Thanks for the replies. RogerSan, I do have nuts on the ground farther back in the woods. I am sticking with Walnut.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 3:23PM
joeinmo 6b-7a

Move it when it's dormant, too close to summer,it will die in transplant. Love walnut trees

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
New plantings
As you may (or may not) be aware, I moved to Springdale...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™