Woo Hoo, Spring Is Springing :o)

nick_17815_pa(NE_PA z6)March 29, 2005

Like everyone I'm sure, I got very excited about the nice sunny day. Well actually it was only the afternoon that the sun popped out, which worked out well since I worked until 3:30. I finally took on the chore, it actually didn't feel like a chore at all because I've been wanting to get outside and work on the garden for what seems like ever, of remove the leaves from the flower beds. I went from bed to bed surprized at all the green goodies hidden beneath the soggy brown leaves. After going to all the beds I figured it was simply too early for the crocuses in this region. Finally I went to this tiny bed I dug out by hand last year, and WaLa a purple blossom :o) SPRING IS FINALLY HERE. I was also amazed at how my bleeding heart and day lillies spread like nuts.

Quick question while I'm at it, can anyone describe what an allium looks like when it first breaks the soil. I planted over 200 bulbs late last fall (Walmart had a super clearance sale and I just had to get some) tulips, grape hyacinths, dafs, and only 3 alliums. Silly me, I don't know where I planted them.

Happy Gardening!

~Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancycon(zone 5 W. PA)

My Allium are sprouting. They have thick green leaves with red tinges on them. They are tightly formed. When they open they will spread and fall out into long Amarylis like leaves. I really love the Schuberti. It's discribed in the catalogues as Fireworks like blossoms and that is so true.

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™