More Powell Garden highway 50 near Lone Jack

helenh(z6 SW MO)May 1, 2012

Click to enlarge.

Harvest Garden at Powell Garden. Vegetables are used as ornamentals.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

Helen, I receive an e-mail when you post new pictures so had already viewed all of these this morning. I didn't even know what Powell Gardens was! Shame on me.

It looks like you had a beautiful day to visit.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:30AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

You're making me want to visit. We've only been once and I'm not sure we saw the whole place.
They supposedly set up "tasting stations" for the fruit and other edibles and have planted many different varieties. Their webpage says 50 peach trees and 50 apple trees. They even have stuff like named pawpaws and persimmon varieties. They claim to have "The nation's largest edible garden"
Did you see any tasting stations when you were there? Not sure what would be available right now as far as fruit, maybe strawberries - if it's not too early. It would be nice to compare the different types and see what tastes best.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:51AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

We were there on Monday, April 30. Starting in May they will have those tasting stations through the week. The cafe' was closed. Last time I had a salad at the cafe'. We saw a chef's helper gathering all kinds of lettuce. There were plenty of strawberries but no tasting station. School groups were there and I heard them trying to get kids to taste Swiss chard. I thought I would need it cooked with butter and salt. I heard the man say you aren't going to try any on it?

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™