last frost date

gandj(6)March 31, 2013

Hello all fellow Pennsylvanians. We started container gardening last yr. Started planting around the end of march ( late, I know). This year we're planning on growing more, but I've been running into some conflicting information on our last frost date. Some sites are saying mid-May, others are saying mid-April. That's quite a difference! We live in central PA. I'm thinking that cool growing plants may be able to go out in a couple weeks!? Any ideas?
Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

Cool growing plants can be planted right now. Last frost is usually mid-May, but some years that can be too early. Years ago it was end of May guaranteed. Just watch the weather for overnight forecasted temperatures. If you're growing frost tender plants you can just throw a plastic sheet over them if frost threatens.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:12AM
paflowers

Do Not use plastic unless you keep it totally off the plants. The plant will freeze wherever the plastic touches it. Use cloth or grow covers to cover plants when frost is expected.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:18AM
gandj(6)

Thanks for the info! We actually sowed radish, lettuce and spinach seed today! I was worried it would be too early, but I don't care. We gotta get started! Again thanks.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Milkweed in SEPA
I'm interested in planting milkweed to attract butterflies,...
annld
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™