Watering

Mrs.AnonymousMay 4, 2014

I kindly request some help in figuring out when and how frequently to water. I started my garden in containers and only needed to water them twice a week. I recently built an 18x10 in ground garden and it appears to me that they are drying up. How frequently and how long should I be watering my strawberries, peppers and tomatoes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Dig a hole and see if the soil is dry several inches below the surface. There is not a certain frequency for watering. Today was very windy and warm. Things dry out fast under those conditions. It is not raining here and the weatherman is useless concerned the city people will not have a good weekend. Sometimes plants will wilt in the wind and sun even though the roots are not dry. If they look dry in the morning that means they probably are too dry. Check the drought monitor weekly to get an idea about soil moisture. People think it is raining because we get cloudy days with a few sprinkles. I haven't had a good rain in ages here.

Here is a link that might be useful: drought monitor map

This post was edited by helenh on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:13

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I need to check in more often; I missed this one. Helen, is right that if the wind is blowing things dry out very quickly.

A good, deep watering is better than light sprinklings. Mulch around everything helps a lot too.

When I use the sprinkler, I place a container within the range and water until it shows l full inch. Then try to keep it to one inch weekly.

I am afraid we are in for a long, hot summer and we will all be watering regularly if we grow anything at all.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™