WANTED: coconut plant

maa2766August 29, 2009

My Malayan Coconut has little flying bugs crawling all over the coconut. I moved the plant outside because of the bugs, but I prefer to have it inside year round. Also how do I care for this plant, I've searched all over the internet and not one page has been helpful at all! Please help I like my new coconut plant!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jazz316

Hello,
I am growing a coconut from a store bought seed for the first time! But that doesn't mean I can't help you! You must tell me what kind of soil you have it in. But in the meantime the best methods are taking cotton swabs and rubbing the leaves with alcohol, or deluding a insecticide in water and watering your plant with it, or if you see them all in and emerging from the soil I would go to a family owned nursery where you know they have quality soil and transplant the coconut into new soil. I think transplanting the coconut is the best method. You should strictly get a well draining palm, cactus, citrus soil. Then take out the coconut plant and hose all the soil out of the roots without damaging the root system and the whole plant to get any bugs out of the leaves and the crown (center) of the palm. Then cleanout the pot your coconut is currently in. Then fill the pot back up with the new soil you got and transplant the coconut. Leave the plant alone for awhile (maybe 2 or 3 weeks). Inspect it daily. If after 2 or 3 weeks, the bugs return then I would treat it with insecticidal soap and alcohol. I hope your Coconut survives!

Tips:
-Bugs could of came from outside, (don't put plant outside)
-Bugs could of came from another plant inside, (separate the coconut plant from any other plants)

PS: GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Hyophorbe verschaffeltii
I have several hundred of these seedlings to trade.They...
david_
WANTED: Bottle Palms
Hi Hyophorbe lagenicaulis. Have four around 6/8 feet...
garyfla_gw
WANTED: tropicals check my trade list
http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/statenislandpalm7a?3122 I...
statenislandpalm7a
wanted: various seedlings for 'trade'
have liners & small 1gal's brahea nitida brahea...
james760
HAVE: Have Halawi date palm seedlings -humidity tolerant
These are first of their kind in the Gulf region humidity...
justinr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™