Redbud Tree

jshob56(SE PA)April 1, 2005

I promised my better half a redbud tree in the front yard. Any suggestions for sources in or around Lancaster County taking into consideration price and quality? Also, any planting suggestions for this relative neophyte (the last time I planted a tree was 35 years ago with the boy scouts)?

Jack

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)

Oh, you need to seek out the relatively new weeping variety of the native redbud. I believe the variety is Covey. I have my eye on one that was left over from last year at a garden center near Mifflintown, PA. The price is $225 (gulp). But I asked the nursery manager to check to see if he could give me a better price since it was left over from last year (it was worth a try). He said he would do that, but I doubt it will be there when I make my next trip through the area. I promised my wife I would plant one as well. I have a place already picked out for it, near a bed along the road. Only trouble is (gee whiz), there's a Kousa dogwood already planted there. I will move the dogwood to give the weeping dogwood a more prominent place in the landscape.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 12:22PM
blueheron(z6 PA)

Jack, I bought one at the Lancaster Co Conservation District tree seedling sale 3 years ago. You might want to check the sale out. They have a large selection of tree seedlings, including conifers, hardwoods and native species. It's too late this year to order, but you might want a brochure for next year. Their phone # is 717-299-5361, ex 5.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 8:33PM
billie_ann(6b PA)

Jack, Watch for "native plant sales" in your area and try your cooperative extension office. Billie

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™