paphilpedilum

terrycinor(7)November 2, 2009

Hi I just got this at the grocery store (I know not the most reputable place) last week, they usually just have phals so when I saw it I was surprised.

Terry

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetcicely(S7 USDA9 No.CA)

Terry, it can't be ID'd for sure, but look at Paph maudiae on google Images. That's pretty close.

Sweetcicely

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 3:37PM
terrycinor(7)

Sweetcicely, I agree they look pretty close! Thanks! You should have heard my girls when they came over, they thought it was really cool looking flower. I hope it will stay in bloom for awhile I'm not sure how often they bloom and when you get one that in already fully opened you never know how long it's been that way so here's hoping.

Terry

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 4:40PM
sweetcicely(S7 USDA9 No.CA)

Your girls are quite right ~ it IS cool! My only Paph is also a maudiae type, and if it is a reliable example, you may expect yours to stay in bloom for about a month, total.

I have found that they like to be just a little more moist than my Phals and to have no direct light. Below is a wonderful site for information on all things having to do with "Slipper" orchids.

Sweetcicely

Here is a link that might be useful: Antec Labs Ladyslipper Info and Culture

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 6:40PM
terrycinor(7)

Wow that is a great site! Thanks! Most sites that I have found just give you an overview of requirements this one is quite indepth!

Terry

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
BC Sunny Delight 'MAJ' x Epc Kyoguchi 'M Sauno'
A delightful hybrid. Up your alley, Jane, a very strong...
orchidnick
Dialaelia Mizoguchi 'Cloud Cover' HCC/AOS
Laelia anceps x Dialaelia Snowflake. Hope you enjoy...
charlesb
Where are your Phalaenopsis??
Here comes my little Phal. collection. I used to have...
germangirl (Eve, zone 9, Houston)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™