Where to buy straw bales?

scolemannMay 14, 2012

Hi all,

I live in Stillwater and am trying to find somewhere to buy straw bales, which is apparently hard to find this time of year.

I tried AtWoods, the milling company, and looking in shop and swap and craigslist, but no luck.

Any Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Try local feed and seed stores that are not part of a big chain. I have the best luck with those. This is sort of the wrong time of year to find straw though unless you're in an area where the wheat harvest has begun. At this time of year, that likely would be SW OK or southern OK. All I've seen at feed stores lately is some very pricey clean coastal bermuda hay for horses and sometimes alfalfa hay.

If you want straw for mulch this early in the year, you may have to settle for some sort of hay, which can be problematic because it often contains weed seeds. I sometimes get around that by putting a double layer of cardboard or thick layers of newspaper underneath the hay. That keeps seeds in the hay from reaching the soil and sprouting.

If you have local horse stables, you might call and ask them if they use straw for bedding and, if they do, if they'll tell you their source as you wish to buy some clean straw for mulch. However, a lot of horse people buy bagged beddng at feed stores nowadays instead of buying bales of straw so they may not be able to help you.

Finally, you might try looking through the listings at the OK Hay Exchange website to see if anyone is offering baled wheat straw yet or keep watching for when it pops up there. I'll find it and link it below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Hay Exchange

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 2:51PM
muddy_mom

Post in craigslist that you are looking for rain or water damaged bales. This time of year good undamaged bales are impossible to find.
I got mine for free as they were the bottom layer of a stack and farmer couldnt sell them. He would have had to pull them out and burn them.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:58AM
muddy_mom

Post in craigslist that you are looking for rain or water damaged bales. This time of year good undamaged bales are impossible to find.
I got mine for free as they were the bottom layer of a stack and farmer couldnt sell them. He would have had to pull them out and burn them.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:00AM
slowpoke_gardener

When I am faced with a problem like that I mow the lawn, let the grass dry a day or 2, then come back and windrow it, then come back and pick it up with our small grass catcher. I then place it on top of a thick layer of paper in the beds (thin layer of grass). It is not pretty, but it will hold me till I can find what I really want to place on top. I like a light color mulch but use what ever I can find for free.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:52AM
ReedBaize

I got my wheat straw at Circle E in Edmond.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
Goji or honeyberries
Has anyone planted goji or honeyberries looking to...
oldokie
What would you plant right now?
Yeah. Well. I'm impatient and I'm tired of mah brain...
chickencoupe
More cold air to come
Hi everyone, I figured I'd update what I stated about...
wxcrawler
milky spore
I've been reading if you get rid of grubs you won't...
sorie6
Milkweed?
Does anyone have milkweed seeds they could share? I'd...
tracydr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™