Red Cosmos

gldno1June 10, 2010

Remember the tiny little red cosmos that was in a packet of reds for the garden seeds (a gift from someone with their order). Well it self seeded and here it is this year. It is now about 20 inches tall and loaded with buds.

The backside is as pretty as the front,

I think the shiny is because it was wet. I will check it today to see.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Could it be Red Crest? I searched cosmos after reading your post. I had so many tomato plants to get in the ground and then the family reunion and Mayo trip - I forgot to plant my summer annuals. I have some double click and white cosmos seeds that I purchased. The common pink ones I had last year have reseeded in my grass. I haven't mowed part of my yard and it is tall. Six to ten inch cosmos is surviving in thick Bermuda.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 7:30PM
gldno1

Helen, I don't now. The package just called it red plants. One is an amaranth that also self seeded and this cosmos. I can't remember if there were others.

You sound as far behind as I am. I don't think I will every get caught up. I think I am slowing down............

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 9:11PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

That's pretty Glenda! Looks like a very dark red. I did some searching too and didn't see any reds that looked like they had a different color on the reverse like yours.

I'm mostly impressed that it's blooming so early. My volunteers still don't even have buds. And the cosmos seeds I planted this year didn't germinate well at all. I only found one and I planted a bunch.
I might shamelessly ask for some seeds from yours later this summer, especially if the butterflies like them. : )

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 9:04PM
teeandcee(Florida 9b)

Those are luscious, and I agree that the reverse is as pretty as the....front? The red part. :D Beautiful!

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 4:00PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I saw a coreopsis in a nursery today that looked like your plant. I almost bought it, but it was described as a not winter hardy perenniel.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 1:13AM
gldno1

Well, I think this self-seeded. I found another small plant nearby so I know that one self-seeded. I will definitely be saving seeds. It is about 36 inches tall now and very full of deep red flowers. I am really liking it.

Notice it has the thread leaf. I don't think I have any of the Sensation variety left. I do have lots of the orange and yellow ones but none blooming so far.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 6:17PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I love it~I have the wild yellow ones inter-planted with a blue dianthus and love them together. Another thing I like is that they come back and bloom most of the summer.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Sponsored Products
Red Polka Dot Mini LED String Light
$14.99 | zulily
Hughes Armless Chair - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Opal Innocence Signature Crystal Balloon Wine Glass - 820291
$29.95 | Hayneedle
Frederick Cooper Imperial Mentor Red Jade Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Textured Lines Rug 8' x 10' - WHITE
$2,599.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Lyndhurst Persian Treasure Red/ Black Runner (2'3 x 12')
Overstock.com
Mango Coax Nuage Pendant by LBL Lighting
$136.00 | Lumens
New Pakistani Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool 3' X 10' Red Oriental Area Rug H5189
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™