What's your favorite perennial/small shrub?

demeron(Zone 6)April 17, 2013

I'm looking for easy, inexpensive, and beautiful plants for an ornamental border outside our community garden. My personal favorite is catmint. What's yours?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peaches20(6 PA)

Hi,

You should look at the ieta little henry shrub -- it only gets about 2'and gets pretty white spiral flowers and leaves change color in the spring. I've been able to find them at home depot.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:04AM
marquest(z5 PA)

- Purple Smoke Bush - Cotinus coggygria
- Carpet rose bush
- Sambucus Black Beauty & Black Lace
- Peony although they only flower in the Spring they are low maintenance and the leaves are a pretty small bush.
- Clematis Rooguchi - This grows as bush and blooms all summer.

I like colorful bushes that give color vs flowers because they are fleeting.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 10:51AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Helleborus, all of them. Thousands of cultivars, all of them my favorites even though I only have 6. Along with being deer proof, you have an ideal plant for the Mid-Atlantic.

Hamamelis vernalis. The fragrant ones will blow your mind. Sweet smelling small yellow flowers in February. A fragrance you can smell a hundred feet away.

Callicarpa americana. Not as showy as its Asian cousin (C. dichotoma), but so dainty it more than makes up for it. Also, the purple on the berries lasts long after the ones on dichotoma have faded.

I have also developed a fondness for Viburnum triloba. A fairly coarse shrub, the panicles of white flowers appear very different when viewed by moonlight. (Those who have it should make a trip outdoors to see it by the light of the moon). The edible red berries hang on just about all winter because they have to ferment or something for the birds to eat them. The red leaves in the fall are not bad either. Humans can eat the berries, (mom made "cranberry" sauce at T-giving with them) you need lots of sugar, and don't smell your hands after you pick them.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:57AM
Mike Larkin

Sedum are great plants for low care, full sun gardens.
No need to fertilize, the tall ones cut down at the end of the year, does not require too much water once established
So many to pick from - Sedum Angelina is a good pick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Perennial

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:32PM
stimpy926

Fothergilla gardenii for it's 3 season interest of lovely bottlebrush flowers in spring, good looking foliage all summer, and blazing fall colors

Hydrangea quercifolia ditto but add winter peeling bark - best 4 season plant

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™