What leaves holes in the ground and eats strawberry leaves?

miraje(7a)May 28, 2011

Just in the last day or two, dozens (hundreds?) of holes have appeared around the foundation of my house. They're about a centimeter in diameter, and my strawberry leaves have all been eaten around the ones that appeared in my fruit bed. My first guess was cicadas, but I didn't know they ate strawberries. Any ideas of what else it could be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I assume that you haven't seen anything coming or going from the holes or eating the strawberry leaves?

Do they "eat" circular to semi-circular holes in the leaves? Or, the whole leaf? If they are taking out circular to semicircular patches, it likely is leafcutter bees and they are cutting out pieces of leaves to use in building their nests.

Otherwise, if it is coming from those holes in the ground, I'd suspect a beetle of some sort.

The only thing that's ever eaten my strawberry foliage is rabbits, but they don't live in 1 cm holes in the ground. Neither do leafcutter bees, but I still think they are a likely suspect.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Leafcutter Bees & Damaged Leaves

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 4:47PM
miraje(7a)

The whole leaves are gone, but they leave the stems and the green fruit alone. It's similar to rabbit damage, but it's happening to leaves inside my rabbit fence where they can't reach. I've never seen anything emerge from the holes, but I have seen more wasps around lately. From searching online I saw that there were some wasps that emerge from the ground, but I'm not sure that's what it is. They look a lot like cicada holes with no castings or loose dirt around them at all. It's weird!

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 5:01PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

There are various ground-nesting wasps and hornets, including cicada killers, but I don' know of any that feed on leaves. They usually feed on plant sap and exudates.

How big are the openings in your rabbit fence? I've had tiny baby cottontails squeeze through chicken wire fencing.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 5:43PM
miraje(7a)

It's a wire fence with about 1cm squares. If they can fit through that I'll be impressed!

Perhaps it's just a mere coincidence that my strawberries are being eaten where these holes appeared. I'll have to keep a close eye on my strawberries and see if I can spot whatever is eating them.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 5:50PM
PunkinHeadJones(7)

Mrs Katz

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99/5lb 3/1/2015
2015 Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99 5lb as of this...
chickencoupe
seed swap tulsa
are they having the seed swap in Tulsa today
oldokie
Thyme (common) Slaughter
I'm getting ready to kill it. It is up about 1/2"...
chickencoupe
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™