No buds on my redbud. Help!

westhighlandblue(z6 PA)April 13, 2006

I planted a 5 or maybe 10 gallon redbud last fall. But it never developed its signature spring flowers. Its currently leafing out heart shaped leaves, but no flowers.

Any idea what went wrong, here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Maybe a late frost hit it? I know alot of stuff was budding out earlier this year than normal and there was a frost out in the 'burbs (and near-frost in the city) that last week of March. At least the tree is leafing out okay though, so watch to see what happens. You might still have some time for some blooms (I've seen later-blooming redbuds here).

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 10:19AM
woodsidetrader(PA/6)

The leaves come after the flowers, so don't expect flowers this year. Do you know how old the tree is? My redbuds are just starting to show buds.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 1:15PM
westhighlandblue(z6 PA)

It is probably a rather young tree. This gives me hope. Hopefully, I'll get buds next spring.

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 9:17AM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

My Cercis are all in near full bloom now in southern Chester county. I started with one small seedling about 20 years ago, and now self sown seedlings ring the yard with bloom along all the woods edges.

For pot culture, you might prefer the Chinese redbud to the American one. It stays smaller, and has more and bigger flowers. Generally, it rows in more of a shrub shape, rather than tree form.

George

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 8:27AM
rteets(PA z6)

I think it was a couple of years till I got blooms from my redbuds, and I planted approx. the same size. Be patient.

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 10:52AM
lynettstoy(z6 Northern NJ)

Old saying, never more true than with redbuds: first year sleep, second year creep, third year leap! Be patient, your little tree is busy underground forming all the roots it needs to support leaves and flowers. Do not be disappointed if it doesn't bloom next year either. Watch the leaves, if you see any yellowing, or if the veins are darker than the rest of the leaf, it needs chelated minerals. Best available not too expensive, Ironite.

Happy gardening!

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 12:11PM
westhighlandblue(z6 PA)

I started this post, two years ago, and was suprised to see it back "up" this morning. I am happy to report that my once small redbud is actually quite large. It is providing a really wonderful visual break between my side yard and the alley. This Spring it did have more flowers and next Spring I expect quite a few more.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 8:19AM
applebaumj_mercersburg_edu

Five foot high red bud transplanted last Fall just beginning to show -May 1 Very wet Sp TD

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™