Grass

DruidTigerMay 2, 2012

I grew up with St. Augustine grass. I'm making an area in my backyard that will serve as a place to sit and enjoy nature. It will be a large circle surrounded by roses and herbs with a tree for shade. I want to fill the circle in with grass similar in texture to St. Augustine. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

If you're in zone 7 in Oklahoma, if you can find 'Palmetto' St. Augustine, it likely would be cold hardy enough for you. I don't know of any other lawn grass that will give you the look of St. Augustine and its tolerance of part-shade conditions. Depending on what kind of tree you're talking about and how dense the shade beneath it happens to be, even St. Augustine may not grow well in that shade and you might have to use a ground cover in the shadiest spots.

If you're in central OK or southward, even 'Raleigh' St. Augustine might be cold-hardy enough. However, every now and then, an extreme cold spell in winter, like we experienced in 2011, might freeze out your 'Raleigh'. That even happens as far south as Dallas-Fort Worth some winters.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Palmetto' St. Augustine

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 2:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greatplainsturf(6/7 OK)

Zoysia has a somewhat similar look as it is a courser texture than Bermuda. If you insist on a warm season grass I would look at that. It will be available here, I have no idea where you would get St Augustine in OK. Last winter my home in North Edmond got down to -20 F in February. That temp will toast any variety of st augustine.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
More cold air to come
Hi everyone, I figured I'd update what I stated about...
wxcrawler
Classic Armadillo Thread From 2005-2013
I mentioned the thread linked below in a different...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
New subjects and thread drift
I see some threads get off topic quite often. I have...
oldbusy1
What would you plant right now?
Yeah. Well. I'm impatient and I'm tired of mah brain...
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™