privet hedge

boonus(z6 PA)April 7, 2006

thinking of planting a privet hedge in my backyard to keep my neighbors from using my lawn as walkway from their house to the alley out back. Would like an "L" shape hedge. One side is apprx. 11 feet and the other would side, I would just plant the remaining plants I get. Question is- what would the spacing be to obtain a thick full hedge. Type I'm looking at is Ligustrum amurense and recommended at 18"-24" spacing. I also thought about a barberry bush hedge (to stick them where it might hurt if they decide to walk through it). What do you think of the barberry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

I planted privet a few years ago as a windbreak, using 18" spacing. It worked well, they filled out very quickly. I mail-ordered it from the Arbor Day Foundation, can't remember the variety.

Barberry might be a better choice, though, if the goal is to deter pedestrian traffic. The privet might get stomped before it has time to establish.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ed_lee

Might you be near Pittsburgh? I have a boxwood privet hedge I need to get rid of that matches your measurement requirements. Might boxwood work for you? Interested in having some for free?

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™