frostbite on crepe myrtle

joyous_2007June 8, 2007

I have a Natchez white crepe myrtle I planted last spring. It is about 6 feet tall now. We had a late frost this spring just after it had put out leaves. Now it has shoots coming from the roots, and a few leaves starting about three feet up. It appears the tree above three feet is dead. Do I need to prune off the top part?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JamesY40(z7a)

My crepe mrytle looks exactly as you described. I am starting to believe the top part is dead and may have to be removed. James

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 3:08PM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

Mine looks the same way ! It is/was only about 6'tall and spindly, and has not bloomed because it is too shaded. It is "Tonto". I'm afraid I'd kill it if I tried to move it, so I am just hoping it will get tall enough to get enough sun to make it bloom. It is the first Crepe Myrtle that I have ever succeeded in growing.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 9:27PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

My neighbor cut the tops off a row of crepe myrtles soon after the frost and hers are looking great. I only have rose of sharon and it looks sad. it's not dead but the leaves are just scattered along the branches.
vickie

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 10:46PM
pauln(z7B Arkansas)

You can scratch the bark on the part that looks dead. If it's green or yellow-green, it should leaf out. Yellow or brown will probably not leaf out. It seems like it should've leafed out by now. You might be better off cutting off the old trunks and letting the plant grow from the new shoots coming out of the base. Whatever you do, PLEASE don't flat-top the plants next winter. Let the crepes grow the way God(ess) intended.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
Hello Everyone!
Well, I've been away for 8 years but am finally back...
fourseasons_2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™