Looking for native pine tree source

ladyslppr(z6 PA)April 12, 2007

I would like to plant some native pines in my yard but cannot find a source for them locally. I am looking for trees of any size, but particularly larger sizes because I have a few seedlings I have grown myself. I'd prefer trees grown from a source as close to central PA as possible. My first choice is Pitch Pine (Pinus rigida). I'd like to try Shortleaf Pine (Pinus echinata). I am also interested in Virginia Pine (Pinus virginiana) and Table Mountain Pine (Pinus pungens). Has anyone seen these offered for sale or have any ideas where I might try to find them? Also, can anyone tell me where I can find Shortleaf Pine growing in the wild (a native stand)? This is the time of the year when Pitch Pine drops seeds, and if Shortleaf Pine does the same I might try to collect some seeds and start Shortleaf Pines myself.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie(pa)

Weve been ordering fromTwin Pines Farm-Shinkashenny pa Great service,the trees are beautiful.We planted about 150 already,They ave quite a few to choose from.number is 1 -800-5954769.Havent lost any trees yet .We ordered from MUSSERs lost alot of trees.

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 8:48AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

My original message in this thread didn't say where I am located. I am in State College, but I am interested in nurseries anywhere in PA or even NJ or MD. I'll also try mail order.

Thanks

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 9:10AM
edlincoln(6A)

Did you ever find a mail order source of Pitch Pine? I've been looking for those.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 2:05PM
poaky1

I haven't checked, but try Musser Forest in Indiana Pa, they have mail order or pick-up.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Need advice on digging and overwintering shrubs/perennials
We may be unexpectedly moving in late Nov/early Dec....
portia
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™