Self-Watering System!!!!

ceresone(missouri ozarks)June 29, 2012

I bought mine from dripworks, and if a old woman can set it up, anyone can. I have found out, if youre home all the time, you cab bypass the most expensive part--the timer. I've loaned my book out, so I cant tell you prices, etc, but I know I spent less than $100. There is a starter kit, comes with pressure reducer, and main line (which is very cheap, in itself!)The tiny lines pop into the main line--and the (LOL)watering gizmo fastens on the end. or--you can use the self watering line, which I dont care for. I just turn mine on at daylight, when I do chores, and its ready to go off when I come back. I very seldom use the timer now. Gldno, this is probably more than you wanted to know--but really, its marvelous!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I know I could steam line how I water. I am dragging hoses all over and wasting time every day. Your system may be simple but you took the time and effort to make things work for you.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 2:31PM
ceresone(missouri ozarks)

Actuall, Helen, it was about the easiest thing I've ever done--even the connectors are twist on--no glueing

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 8:11AM
sweetwm007(6 b)

ceresone- glad to see you post.
are you using drip emitters? i have a drip system on my 16 ft beds and i ordered most of the parts from drip works. you can get a lot of the same parts from lowe's and home depot.
william

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 2:17PM

I looked up a few "proper" names--LOL.
William, I have the soaker emmiter type, but I dont like it. My first jaunt into this, I bought the spectrum adjustable waters for my big pots, and love them-so in additing to the soaker hose type I used Shrubblers. Much, much better. Oh, I was saying it wasnt expensive? the supply line I use is1/2" and its 13.50 for 100', the line that goes to the individual waters is 1/4" and its 6.00 for 100'
Do you use a timer on yours, Wm?. I did, untill weather got so hot, now, I'm bypassing it, so I see whats watered.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:16AM
sweetwm007(6 b)

no, i don't use a timer. the long beds i have use 1/4 inch soaker hoses and i put cutoff's on the 1/4 lines in case i just want to water certain beds. i do have a 4 port timer i have never used.
do you have an anti syphon valve in your main line?
william

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:36AM

Yes--between the faucet and the well

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Lavender from Seeds
I am just north of Springfield in Greene Co., Mo. ...
gldno1
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Sponsored Products
Jesper 100 2 Door Cabinet In Walnut
Beyond Stores
Calhoun Leather Ottoman - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Fire Magic 53914-SR Single Access Door - 14 x 20 - Right Hinge - 53914-SR
$239.70 | Hayneedle
Springfield 1.38-Gal. Beverage Dispenser Set & Stand