hunting for bugs

helenh(z6 SW MO)June 6, 2013

Something is making holes or totally eating up some plants. I went out last night with a flashlight and found several climbing cutworms and small slugs. The annual red salvia was their favorite, but I found some of the cutworms on the top of tomato plants. Cutworms were loving the flowers of red hot poker. I didn't even notice the damage. I just thought some of the flowers were ratty looking and trimmed them. Now I know. It was fun to squash those cutworms don't like handling the slugs can't get the slime washed off. I need to get a spray bottle with a little ammonia for those.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Golly, Helen, that does sound fun. NOT. Especially the slug part. I used to hunt them at dawn on my marigolds, but flipped them into a container with water.

Your three Four O'Clocks are really taking off. Should be beautiful this summer. Thanks again.
Sunny

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:42AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I'll save my cutworms for you to squish Helen. I can't do that. ewww I just give mine a long pass into the field and hope a bird eats them before they find their way back.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:41AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am so glad to find out the source of my problem that it seems like a victory to squash them. One can do a lot of damage. I had some kale leaves on my window sill in water hoping to watch hatching of green lace wing eggs and one green caterpillar ate about a fourth of a leaf when I wasn't looking. He must have been an egg because I had handled those leaves a lot. Now I am after Colorado potato beetle larva nasty looking things. I wonder where all that orange pigment comes from because they are only eating potatoes. One adult can lay 300 eggs I read so I am not letting them get to the adult stage.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
New plantings
As you may (or may not) be aware, I moved to Springdale...
dbarron
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
Sponsored Products
TEC Cherokee Portable Infrared Gas Grill Cover
$54.00 | FRONTGATE
Modern Style Brown Fabric Shade Floor Lamp with Metal Chrome Base
ParrotUncle
Funky Hunting Sofa
Opulent Items
Poulpe Pendant by Estiluz
$1,549.00 | Lumens
Hunt Satin Nickel White Acrylic One-Light Mini Pendant
$173.80 | Bellacor
Natural Collection Red/ Ivory Area Rug (7'10 x 10'3)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™