hunting for bugs

helenh(z6 SW MO)June 6, 2013

Something is making holes or totally eating up some plants. I went out last night with a flashlight and found several climbing cutworms and small slugs. The annual red salvia was their favorite, but I found some of the cutworms on the top of tomato plants. Cutworms were loving the flowers of red hot poker. I didn't even notice the damage. I just thought some of the flowers were ratty looking and trimmed them. Now I know. It was fun to squash those cutworms don't like handling the slugs can't get the slime washed off. I need to get a spray bottle with a little ammonia for those.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Golly, Helen, that does sound fun. NOT. Especially the slug part. I used to hunt them at dawn on my marigolds, but flipped them into a container with water.

Your three Four O'Clocks are really taking off. Should be beautiful this summer. Thanks again.
Sunny

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:42AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I'll save my cutworms for you to squish Helen. I can't do that. ewww I just give mine a long pass into the field and hope a bird eats them before they find their way back.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:41AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am so glad to find out the source of my problem that it seems like a victory to squash them. One can do a lot of damage. I had some kale leaves on my window sill in water hoping to watch hatching of green lace wing eggs and one green caterpillar ate about a fourth of a leaf when I wasn't looking. He must have been an egg because I had handled those leaves a lot. Now I am after Colorado potato beetle larva nasty looking things. I wonder where all that orange pigment comes from because they are only eating potatoes. One adult can lay 300 eggs I read so I am not letting them get to the adult stage.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Hello Everyone!
Well, I've been away for 8 years but am finally back...
fourseasons_2
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
aniseb
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™