which plants exceeded your shade expectations?

mgood4u(z6-PA)April 11, 2006

I about to put in a shady garden area. I know what plants do well in shade but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of part sun/full that have done really in shade. I have heard Rudbeckias do well in shade as well as Nasturiums. True for anyone? Suggestions please! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

dawn, my nasturtiums went hog-wild last season. i planted in several areas and the ones in teh partial was almost to the point of out of control but put on a stunning display. i am working on an area in the rear of my yard that is in between two very large trees and requires some shade-loving plants. nasturtium will definitely go there.

i don't have much there now - hosta, native/ditch lilies (which for some reason stay contained), a few spring bulb plants/flowers, BES, and sedum, so it's a real experiment for me as well to get this area over and done with once and for all. it's a real problematic area that i didn't use my head when considering it.

maryanne/earthly

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 11:14AM
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

I had good luck with Bishop's Goutweed (Aegopodium podagraria), especially in dry shade.

But most people consider it an invasive nuisance plant, so I'm hesitant to mention it.

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 11:57AM
gillian_(z5 PA)

Liriope and dianthus have done well for me at the edge of my shade garden. They receive some direct sunlight but mostly dappled throughout the day. I also have some monarda doing well there. Maybe some people already think of these as "shade" plants but they aren't not what I think of as typical. Most of my shade plants are hostas, heucheras, columbine, ferns, primula...etc, all the regulars. But my absolute favorite shade garden plant is Celandine poppy aka wood poppy. The bright yellow flowers really stand out in a shady area.

~Gillian

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Poppy

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 2:35PM
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

carol , it's funny you mention bishop's weed. i got it in a swap last year, it's variegated and pretty and grows low to the ground. i have it in a front bed that gets full sun. a few months after planting it there was this big controversy over it being invasive, but mine is so contained. i debated the other day of taking it out and putting it elsewhere, but wasn't sure where. i have a very shady problem area that i could put it in. thanks for that advise.

maryanne/earthly

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 3:21PM
caliloo(z6/7)

I have lamium growing in a mostly shade bed and it is wonderful! Silver and green foliage with lovely pinkish purple blooms.

I also have some daylilys that are growing in partial shade and seem to be doing okay. Not as many blooms as the counterparts in full sun, but well enough that I am leaving them.

Alexa

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 7:59AM
wolfe15136(z6 PA)

Astilbe, lungwort, hellebores do well for me. Sadly, my foxglove died out after 3 years of self-seeding.

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 3:32PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Turk's cap lily (Lilium superbum; orange) does well for me in a spot that gets only a couple of hours of sun. I just picked up soime Lilium speciosum (pink and white) bulbs, and it looks like they'll do well in partial shade, too.

Some lesser-known plants that should do well in partial shade: Doronicum oreintale (perennial; yellow daisy flowers) and Dracocephalum moldavica (annual; blue tubular flowers).

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 10:22AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Dicentra, some peonies (especially if they're on the edge of the shade), many of the lilies including the asiatics and orientals.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 10:25AM
bobs2(z7/8)

I second dicentra, particularly D. 'Bountiful (Zestful).'

A recent favorite is Corydalis Cheilanthifolia (fernleaf corydalis). This plant could easily be mistaken for a fern, except that it flowers. Blossoms are usually yellow, but apparently can be blue. The true species has a bronze tint to the folliage, not a blue cast. This plant also self seeds, and now grows in several shady spots in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good picture, little info.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 12:04PM
westhighlandblue(z6 PA)

Hypercium (St. John's Wort) is a favorite of mine. Its yellow flowers are a sunny surprise in a shade garden.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 9:27AM
vlf4230(z6 Pa)

I've had really amazing results from the Bleeding Heart I placed in the shade. I have 5 that were all bought at the same time. The one that gets a bit of morning sun and shade teh rest of the day is huge. It is close to 4' tall and about 3' in diameter. The ones that get morning shade and afternoon sun are only about 12-18" tall and maybe 12" across. The one that gets late morning sun and early afternoon sun is halfway between the others.

Writing this I am wondering why I don't just move them all into the morning sun area. hmmm...

Jim

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™