Privacy screen on fence

TomdiorioApril 16, 2013

Hello all. I live in south western Pennsylvania. I have an aluminum ornimental fence. About half of it is hidden behind emerald green arborvitae sitting in a mulch bed, the other half has nothing. I don't want anything that is very large because sometimes I pull my truck in the backyard for mulching.

I am looking for a vine, or something narrow that I can plant near the fence to give us some privacy. The arborvitae are great, but the open section on the fence is wide open to people walking on the sidewalk behind it.

I was thinking either sweet autumn clematis, or some variety of climbing rose. I don't have a green thumb and was looking for something that is easy to grow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
demeron(Zone 6)

I don't have personal experience, which makes me hesitate, but I can suggest some from my books-- Dutchman's pipe, hops. Sweet autumn clematis is lovely, we have a number of nice ones in our town. It gets big but that sounds like it's not a problem. New Dawn Rose is tough as nails and rampant-- I love mine, but it's pretty fierce!

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tomdiorio

Thank you.

Is that picture of new dawn rose? That looks nice. I would like it to be something to keep flat against the fence so I have little to no mulch needed.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™