Rhubarb

jimmy56_gwApril 10, 2013

I dug up my rhubarb so I could till the soil then I put it back in the tilled ground, My question is since I just tilled the soil and put the rhubarb back where it was can I still use the rhubarb this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie(pa)

I wouldn't have dug it up now I would have waited till out of season,I think you can, I did already you probably wont get much this year.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 6:22PM
jimmy56_gw

Thanks for the reply bulldinkie, I was always told when you first plant rhubarb not to eat it the first year but I thought since mine is 4 years old it wouldn't matter.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:20PM
stimpy926

As an aside, tilling has become passe as the process turns up millions of dormant weed seeds which will germinate. I would just shovel prune the main plant, and mulch disturbed areas well afterward.

" Established clumps will have to be trimmed every 4 to 5 years or when the stalks get small and spindly or when the crown is visibly crowded. This will help the plant to keep growing nice thick stems. This is done by digging around and trimming the crown down to 4 or 5 buds. You can also use this opportunity to divide your plant into more plants. You may encounter is rot in the crowns from excessive water in the crown area. If so, destroy these plants. "

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:33PM
bulldinkie(pa)

Minehas been in the ground 15 years I never removed that plant don't need to divide.
That's what I was thinking being theplant is older.Youll getsomebut I doubt a lot.I might be wrong,youll find out.lol
Mine are in raised beds,,

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™