safe date for perennials

lily603(6)May 2, 2012

may 1st i made my trip to black creek and have about 50 small pots to plant. my question is - is there a website that gives proper temps for plants? petunias, geraniums, etc. will not put tomatoes in yet. but several perennials (annual ornmental grass) are iffy. is ground temp more important than air temp? can i shift to a bigger pot and thus stave off slow or stunted growth. last year i pulled out some summer annuals that went in too soon and never developed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kr222(6b)

What part of Pennsylvania do you live in? In general, I would say that if you are in the southeastern part, you could safely plant everything. Just check to see that the extended forecast no longer shows temperatures below 50 at night.

Although I just planted my tomatoes, cukes, and peppers in the ground this morning, I would recommend that you wait another couple of weeks if you're in the colder parts of PA. Every year I take a chance and try to get them in a bit early. Our extended forecast looks fantastic, so I caved this morning.

Perennials are alright to go in no matter what part of PA you are in. They are tough.

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My PA Gardens

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Need advice on digging and overwintering shrubs/perennials
We may be unexpectedly moving in late Nov/early Dec....
portia
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™