safe date for perennials

lily603(6)May 2, 2012

may 1st i made my trip to black creek and have about 50 small pots to plant. my question is - is there a website that gives proper temps for plants? petunias, geraniums, etc. will not put tomatoes in yet. but several perennials (annual ornmental grass) are iffy. is ground temp more important than air temp? can i shift to a bigger pot and thus stave off slow or stunted growth. last year i pulled out some summer annuals that went in too soon and never developed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kr222(6b)

What part of Pennsylvania do you live in? In general, I would say that if you are in the southeastern part, you could safely plant everything. Just check to see that the extended forecast no longer shows temperatures below 50 at night.

Although I just planted my tomatoes, cukes, and peppers in the ground this morning, I would recommend that you wait another couple of weeks if you're in the colder parts of PA. Every year I take a chance and try to get them in a bit early. Our extended forecast looks fantastic, so I caved this morning.

Perennials are alright to go in no matter what part of PA you are in. They are tough.

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My PA Gardens

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
Sponsored Products
Farberware Perilla Mirror Flatware - Set of 20 - 209020FW12DS
$35.61 | Hayneedle
Kichler 380102WH 12.75 in. Universal Light Kit with Pull Chain - White - 380102W
$64.98 | Hayneedle
Sea Gull Lighting Lancaster 1-light Black Outdoor Wall Lantern with Beveled Glas
Overstock.com
Allegri Barret Gold Three-Light Table Lamp
$998.00 | LuxeDecor
CAP Barbell 4 Sided Vertical Dumbbell Rack - RK-17
$204.80 | Hayneedle
Bestar Embassy Tuscany Brown 66 x 79 L-Shaped Workstation Desk
$658.96 | LuxeDecor
Red Rock Cooking Stone Set
$89.95 | FRONTGATE
Vietri Lastra Fish Large Oval Platter
$139.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for: