Lady's Mantle in a container

nyad(8)May 15, 2010

Hello, everyone! I'm in Central PA, just bought 3 Lady's Mantles at an outdoor sale and was told that they would all fit in a 2' x 2' x 2' container and do well on my mostly shady balcony. I face SW but also a woods that's growing ever closer, so there are a few hours of sun each day and it's dappled. From what I read from the "Lady's Mantle" posts (which do not include container questions so far), the plant does well in all kinds of situations. However, I now realize the container I described to the sellers is 1 and 1/2 cubic ft, not 2. Will the 3 plants still be ok? I have more containers on wheels but also more types of plants. Also, is this an herb or a regular plant? I've read both. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

Lady's Mantle is considered an herb and will grow in sun or shade but the less sun it receives the leggier it will be. I too live in the woods and have a front porch similar to your circumstance. The container should be big enough for several years, if you aren't happy with the plants in the containers you can always plant them among hostas, coral bells or anyother shade loving plant. In my gardens they receive morning sun which doesn't reach the garden until 9 AM then gone by noon...because of the ever encroaching forest. You could also plant some med size hostas or coral bells in the container with the Lady's Mantle. Hope this helps. I've experimented with so many plants on my front porch after 7 years I'm still searching. Except I do grow lovely ferns in my hanging baskets.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Sponsored Products
10-Piece Container Set
$24.99 | zulily
Crosley Cambridge Solid Black Granite Top Portable Kitchen Island - KF30024DBK
$319.00 | Hayneedle
LIQUO Wall Mounted Toilet Brush and Holder by Blomus
$53.99 | Lumens
Heavy Duty Attached Lid Storage Containers - 8.75
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Dynamic Rugs Fantasia Turquoise 1704 Area Rug - FA351704500
$129.99 | Hayneedle