Dahlia Lady at Zerns

pennycp(Z6 SE Penna)May 23, 2006

Hi -

For the last two years I bought dahlia tubers from a woman who set up a stand just for one weekend at Zerns Farmers Market. She dug them out of her yard and put them in baggies with homemade tags. The tags said "Delightful Dahlias".

I've been keeping an eye out for her this year but haven't seen her yet. Seems like it's getting kind of late in the year....

Has anyone else seen her there? Have I missed her?

Appreciate any information on how to find her.

Thanks.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karigraphy(z5 wpa)

I don't know about the dahlia lady at Zerns . . . but my father is a dahlia grower in SW PA so I know a little about dahlias by default.

The best way to buy dahlias is to look up the dahlia society in your area and find out when they have their annual auction of tubers. It would usually be in May. Also, find out if and when they have their annual show and go see the flowers and talk to the growers. Shows are usually in early September. They will show you which dahlias will meet your needs.

Reputable dahlia sellers usually sell dahlias by name, such as "Zorro" and a size classification and style such as formal, informal, or ball.

Of course, you could do what I've done at times and buy the prettiest ones you see in bloom at the nursery. Some places like Home Depot have potted dahlias that were greenhouse raised to be in bloom in the spring when annuals are sold. They probably won't over-winter very well but they'll be pretty for a season.

Karen

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 7:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pennycp(Z6 SE Penna)

Hi Karen -

Thanks for the information!

Penny

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
Need advice on digging and overwintering shrubs/perennials
We may be unexpectedly moving in late Nov/early Dec....
portia
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™