Regarding palm wood...

trishmick(z7NJ)January 24, 2012

Despite our mild Winter thus far (I mean...it's just about tee shirt weather down at the beach today), these guys were pretty much shot by late Nov. And here is one now. I've posted pics of this yard before, and mentioned in a thread that I spoke to the owner quite by accident this past Summer and told him about Windmills. Young guy who just seemed content to plant cocos every year and let them die off. Hey, it's obviously well within his means. But what I'm getting at is...just how sound would the wood from the trunk of this tree be for carpentry purposes?

I take the driftwood I find and use it out at my tiki bar and backyard, and was hoping to rescue this trunk or its neighbor before they are removed. Not gonna just go down there some night with a chainsaw. I'd try to contact the owner first. My plan would be to use it as the base for a small table. Believe me, there is a nice sized trunk under all those toasted fronds...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

They never stood a chance, but at least the winter was nice on some less tropical plants (or at least its been nice so far)!

Coconut palm wood is used a lot in the tropics for building. Im not sure how it compares to other wood, but I would guess that it's pretty strong.

-Alex

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 1:08AM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

The colonists used palmetto trunks to build forts. British cannon balls bounced right off, earning the palmetto state tree status in SC and centered on the state flag.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 10:58AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
I've used dead palm as well as live to grow orhids and other epiphytes on. Coconut will last over 10 years for sure even exposed to the element with no treatment,
If you put some kind of sealer on it would probably last forever?? gary

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 3:54AM
islandbreeze

I don't mean to get off topic, but do you know if the Washingtonias in that area survived? I remember seeing pictures...and he would even be better off planting queens or mules or butias.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 11:31AM
trishmick(z7NJ)

They fared better this year than last, but stiil didn't survive the wallop of, I'd say, between 1 and 2 weeks of the bitter cold we've had to deal with around here so far this mild Winter. These guys face north and are exposed to both onshore and west winds. Same exacvt setup the last two seasons. Looking forward to what he does this year...

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 10:58AM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

And for comparison from the DE/MD state line at a beach mini golf:

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™