How to replenish nutrients in veggie garden

gardenguy_(z6b PA)May 12, 2005

I have a vegatable garden area in my yard that is rectangular and measures 12' x 5'.

I've used this patch of my yard for the past 4-5 years for vegtables. Recently I've thought about due to using this same patch, soil nutrient depletion. I have a large yard, but because of my dog, and the fact that it's fenced in, I don't want to excavate another area to garden. This weekend, I plan to till that garden, and was wandering is there any kind of additive I could rototill into the garden such as humus or something else that would replenish the nutrients in that particular area of my yard? I am planning on planting roma tomatoes, green peppers, and hot peppers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsgalihad(5 CO)

Compost or composted manure will do it. Check out the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum they can really help you out with any specifics there. The basic answer though is compost (aka humus).

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 1:34PM
blueheron(z6 PA)

Agree with the above. I add compost, dehydrated chicken manure and lime (if needed). Also, urea might be a good additive to add nitrogen to your soil.

A good idea is to get your soil tested or measure the pH with a pH meter because nutrients cannot be accessed by the plant unless the pH is at an optimum level. Throughout the growing season, I add fish emulsion, too.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 8:16PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

compost! And since you have a tiller it's easy to till in autumn leaves in the fall.... instead of dragging them to the compost pile.

....any manure and/or (duh) chemical fertilizer.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 10:09PM
gardenguy_(z6b PA)

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 10:54PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Gardenguy- I just read my post-
I hope the 'duh' didn't sound insulting, it was supposed to be a "I might be stupid for even making the fertilizer suggestion, I'm sure you already thought of it" way.

sorry, some thoughts don't always come across well in writing!

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™