Heavy Hitter okra

slowpoke_gardenerMay 23, 2014

Is it planted thick enough?

A very kind Forum Member sent me some seed last year. I planted them and like them very well. I saved some pods in a plastic bag and left them on the back porch all winter. Not knowing if they would germinate, I just scratched out a groove in the garden one night and walked down the row shelling the pods. I then drug a rake over the groove and waited to see if any seeds would sprout. As you can see, I got them a little thick.

I know that it is a little late for planting okra, but if anyone wants any of these seed, just let me know. I have way too many.

Larry

P.S. yours may look a little straighter if you don't plant them in the dark.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracydr(9b)

Mine looks similar, although shorter rows. It's not too late. I've planted it in July before here in Phoenix.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 5:49PM
mulberryknob

Yours look a lot better than mine. I'm wishing I planted thicker...and later. Mine has suffered from cold soil, I think.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 10:15PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I just planted my seed in the back garden. Like Tracy, I've planted at mid-summer before too. It sprouts and grows so fast that it still has time to produce from a mid-summer sowing. I do have some volunteers in the front garden that came up a couple of weeks ago, but I may not leave them where they are because they're not in a good place.

And, who cares if the rows aren't straight? You're not being graded on the straightness of your okra rows.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:01PM
amunk01

Larry, I like your rows! They have character :) Glad you brought this up too, I'm planting a few seeds this weekend. Thought it was probably too late, but wanted to give it a shot anyway. Good to know its technically not too too late. I would like to know what variety everyone grows? Is the Clemson spineless the most commonly grown variety?
Alexis

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:11AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I don't know that Clemson spineless is the most commonly grown. It might be, but that likely would be because it is the variety most commonly seen on seed racks.

I don't necessarily think that the variety matters all that much. Okra loves heat and we have plenty of heat, so every variety I've ever planted has done well for me. I like the green velvet types. The green velvet type I planted this year is from Willhite Seed and is called Emerald. I like the velvet types because their pods are smooth, not ridged, and they don't get woody as quickly as Clemson Spineless does. I always plant several different kinds of okra just for variety. I feel like I don't plant only one pepper variety or one tomato variety, so why plant only one okra? The others I planted this year are Cowhorn, Baby Bubba and Beck's Big Buck. Cowhorn okra stays tender a long time before the pods turn woody, Baby Bubba is a dwarf that produces heavily on plants that top out around 3-4', and Beck's Big Buck produces pods with a huge diameter.

It's not too late to plant pretty much any warm or hot-season crop. I plant something new almost every week, sowing succession crops to fill in spots left by the harvest of cool-season crops. In mid-June you can start planting fall crops.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:57AM
irfourteenmilecreek

My name is Ron Cook. I am an organic farmer in Northeastern Oklahoma, where we still work our garden with an old mule named Earl. I am the man who developed Heavy Hitter okra over the past few decades. The seed for this new strain has become so popular that it has become a chore to keep up with it. (Look it up on the green country seed savers website) there is an article there with several photos scattered throughout the first 4 pages of replies.

If you need any seed send me an email to fourteenmilecreek@yahoo.com

Bookmark   January 5, 2015 at 10:08AM
macmex

Ron will be sharing at our upcoming meeting (Sunday, January 11). I will put a link at the bottom.

Larry, my rows ALWAYS look like that! Ask Dorothy!

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Country Seed Savers: Jan 2015 meeting

Bookmark   January 6, 2015 at 8:00AM
More Discussions
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
Purchased comppost and soil.
Somewhere recently I read a post that had a phone number...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Classic Armadillo Thread From 2005-2013
I mentioned the thread linked below in a different...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Cover crops that help with root rot
I just listened to a soil health talk on the web. My...
johnnycoleman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™