No bees or butterflies this year!

leslybgood(z5 PA)May 27, 2012

I live in the eastern suburbs outside Pittsburgh and have several large flower gardens. Normally, the lavender and roses are COVERED with bumble bees, honey bees and butterflies. This year, however, there is absolutely nothing. Anyone else having this problem? I do not use pesticides and have gardening neighbors to the left and right that are both organic gardeners as well. They, too, have no bees.

It's apocalyptically freakish and sad. My garden is normally brimming with activity this time of year :(

Also--the local news did a segment about seeing record numbers of bees in the city (Pittsburgh) due to the mild winter. Why then, are they missing from their usual favorite place?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
demeron(Zone 6)

I am outside Harrisburg. I have a lot of bumbles and sweat bees, but have only seen a couple of bumbles. I am light on butterflies but I keep thinking it's early for them? Anybody else?

I've read the recent activities by Monsanto (seed coatings, Roundup tolerant corn) have been deathly for bees and butterflies.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:48PM
peaches20(6 PA)

I too live in the east suburbs and have seen a couple of really big bumble bees. I have only seen one swallowtail butterfly. Hopefully more will come.

Peaches

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 2:01PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

York County here. Butterflies are few, but it is only early June I keep telling myself. My Pipevine butterflies are early, saw 2 yesterday. I knew they were around, we played with the caterpillars the first weekend of June. Bees are in normal abundance for the last few years. Nothing like they were 20 years ago.

I only have one hummingbird this year, though. Usually a mob, and none came up through in April when some of my plants are put outside because the hummers love the bloom (citrus from the g-house).

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 10:06AM
Connie K

Lancaster County - I've seen several bumble bees, but I don't know how that compares to other years. No butterflies.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 12:57PM
jrdpa(6)

I haven't seen many butterflies around my house in the eastern suburbs. Just the small white ones. None of the swallowtails or others, though I saw a couple at Bealls Nursery this morning. Not to many rumblebees as my husband calls the large bumble bees either though we saw a lot of fireflies last night. We've had several nests of wasps around our house we keep having to get rid of too since they're right by the grill or front door and we don't need our cat getting stung again. That was a mess!

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:41PM
jrdpa(6)

Oh and I've never had hummingbirds at my house despite putting out feeders for them.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™