Mountain Grove Fruit Station

christie_sw_mo(Z6)July 23, 2009

Has anyone visited the fruit experiment station in Mountain Grove Missouri?

I didn't find much info on their website but maybe I just didn't dig deep enough.

It didn't explain what a "Field Day" is. Has anyone been to one?

They're growing many types of fruit. I'd love to know if it's possible to taste test fruit from different cultivars if you visit there. I'd like to try different types of pawpaw or persimmon and others.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I don't know about it. You could try calling and talking to someone down there.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 1:56PM
ceresone(missouri ozarks)

When I was there, years ago, the old house was still empty. It's fairly close, and I go by, just never have time to stop. They are excellent in answering e-mail questions.
I do need to go, and discuss, in depth, Brown Rot on Stone Fruits.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 8:17AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

I was there last year for a rooting class which was wonderful. You definitely get your money's worth with any class at either the Mt Grove Fruit Experiment Station or the University of Missouri Southwest Research Center in Mt. Vernon. And the classes are usually $10 or under. They always seem to have a strong turn out.

I haven't been to a field day, but I'm thinking they highlight a topic that they're doing research on at the time and then give a tour of the rest of the facilities. It sounds like there are hundreds of people who attend.

The staff are all extremely friendly and welcome visitors during regular hours. If you are going to make a trip, it's good to call ahead to make sure someone is specifically available to give you a one on one tour. They're more than happy to do it if you just let them know. And I wouldn't be surprised if you were allowed to try anything that was ripe.

V

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 9:30PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thanks for that link. I didn't know there was another garden in Mt. Vernon. It looks like they're growing pawpaw and persimmon cultivars at both places.
I thought Mountain Grove might have results of their pawpaw trials and looked through their website but didn't find anything.
I can't remember if I've even eaten fruit from the native species. If I did, it was when I was very young and I don't remember it. From what I've read, some are very good and others are barely edible.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 10:24AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

christie_sw_mo,

It's no wonder I used to get them mixed up. I didn't realize there were locations at both places for the longest time either.

You might be interested in The Berry Basket. It's a newsletter from the Mountain Grove research center. They include articles on their research - including pawpaws (Fall 2006 issue). You can skim the titles of articles in past issues here. Haven't tasted them... yet.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™