Deer and Black Eyed Susan question

earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)May 28, 2013

Hi fellow gardeners.

I don't have a problem here, but I have a little cabin in the poconos and I was thinking of adding to my garden beds some BES. Does anyone have any experience with deer and BES? I have an area fenced off with some items I know they would chow down - learned the hard way - so I'm not too sure where I would want to place these particular plants.

Thanks!
Maryanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janie58(5a)

Hi Maryanne,

I live in the Poconos and have planted black eyed susans that deer have left entirely alone, BUT I have also planted some that the deer munched down to stubs. The ones left alone were planted very close to the house. It's really hit and miss and can be different year to year. Last Fall deer ate my rhodies and hollies down to nubs. A first! This spring we put up deer fencing (works great so far) and this is the first year I ever was able to have tulips! And my rhodies and hollies are growing back. I would suggest you might want to plant some BES behind fencing and plant some in an open bed and see what happens. Good Luck!

Jane :>))

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

thanks for the response, june. i'm blown away they ate your rhodies, that's one i always see growing, blooming and undisturbed. guess there were more sophisticated deer pallets this year :-).

i'm going to try planting as you suggested.

maryanne

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™