Springfield, MO park

helenh(z6 SW MO)July 1, 2013

>The park was beautiful Saturday. You should go while the weather is good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Very, very pretty. I assume this is Close park in Springfield?
I noticed the sumac in the background of the middle photo. Isn't that interesting foilage? Do they grow over 6 ft?
Sunny

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:00PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

If it is Tigereye sumac you can google it and see what they say. I have two but it takes shrubs years to mature. You know what our last two years have been like. Mine is not over 6 feet. It has sent out an offshoot but I like that it is making more. The foliage is just as pretty as blooms would be and it is bright yellow green all season. I looked it up on the forbidden D garden and some people there say it spreads. It costs over $20 and it is beautiful so I say dig up the shoots and give them away if you have too many. I think you would have to plant it carefully knowing it may send out shoots.

This post was edited by helenh on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:50

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:41PM
gldno1

I haven't made it to the park this year....or last. Been sick for three days so probably will miss going in this nice weather.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 4:34PM
mosswitch

We went to Springfield a couple of weeks ago, intending to go to the park as part of our day.....wouldn't you know that was the day Springfield got 9 inches of rain?!!!!

Want to go again, we would like to see the hosta garden this year (did you know it has been named as an American Hosta Society display garden? One of only (I think) 15 in the US.

Sandy

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:26PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Last weekend was great for lilies and day lilies. The hosta garden was occupied by a wedding party so I didn't go there. They keep adding things. The new gardens are not at their peak yet, but they will be nice in a few years. My friend took the trolley around because he doesn't walk like I do. He told me about the Peace Garden and I saw the conifer garden for the first time. I haven't been going up there. It is so easy to miss things there if you don't keep up with the new gardens.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Sponsored Products
Creative Bath Multi Outdoor Serving Set - Set of 13 - CH623
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Wood & Metal Old-Fashion Bicycle Table
$74.99 | zulily
Tech Lighting | Envision Low Voltage Head
$210.40 | YLighting
Minka Lavery Overland Park Transitional Large Pendant
1800Lighting
Porcelina Ring 24-Inch Six-Light Dark Bronze Square 5000 Lumen LED Semi-Flush Mo
Bellacor
Lithonia Lighting Flood Lights. 1-Lamp Outdoor Bronze Metal Halide Flood Light
$89.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™