Help ID this plant -- weed or flower or somewhere in between?

mrzeiglerMay 1, 2012

I moved into a new house two years ago. Last spring, I asked a friend if she recognized a plant that was springing up in a prime garden location. It seemed familiar, she said, but she said it struck her as a plant some people liked because it was indigenous to the zone but most likely considered a weed by most gardeners.

Fast forward a year. I've been too busy to weed this section of the garden, and now I see that the plant has grown back in the same spot and now has some pretty large flower buds on it. The little brown ants are loving crawling all over those flower buds.

I posted some photos of the plant here: my blog.

Zone 5, western Pennsylvania. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

It's a peony. Google for some images and see if you want to keep it.... I'm going to guess you will. They bloom in early summer, require little care and the foliage will look pretty good most of the year. They make nice cut flowers and if you don't cut them you might have to stake since the blooms get floppy.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrzeigler

Thanks, Kato ...

Of course, I didn't ID the plant until I ordered a tree peony for a space about 8 feet away from it!

Looking forward to see what color its bloom is. From the coloration of the bud, it looks like it's going to be a peachy or cream color.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™