manure in Montgomery Co.?

HKinPA(z6 PA)May 2, 2005

Hi, We are by Ft. Washington with a 25 x 50 raised bed garden. We are looking for sources for cow/chicken/sheep manure in Montgomery or Bucks counties. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
witsend22(6Pa Bedford Co)

for a small area like that you should be able to get all you need from almost any of the local dairy farms in your area. It would most likely be green (hot) so you would need to be careful with it. But just load up as big a container as will fit in your vehicle, drive out of town and find a back road. Enjoy the ride and the scenery. When you see a farm, stop in and ask, most farmers are cordial and happy to get rid of some manure. Might even get a tour of their own home gardens and possibly end up with some great cuttings of flowers you have been looking for. Even horse manure will work and not as likely to burn your plants but tends to have more viable weed seeds in it.

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 7:20AM
Lavinia2(Z5/Pa)

Since we are on this subject.....does manure attract predators such as coyotes and bears?

Lav

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 5:12PM
blueheron(z6 PA)

I live in Lancaster Co and all of the garden centers sell dehydrated cow and chicken manure. You can use it right away and it's practically odorless. I use the chicken manure for my veggies and the cow manure for my perennial beds.

I have never heard of manure attracting predators. Of course, there aren't any bears or coyotes in my area. ;^)

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™