When for Hydrangeas?

vlf4230(z6 Pa)May 5, 2006

So should I assume that all those branches sticking out of my hydrangeas, that have yet to sprout leaves, are dead? I have plenty of leaves at the base but very, very few on the old growth.

I can't remember how late I had to wait last year. What with the warm winter and the early spring I'm so confused when to expect anything. I even have sunflowers blooming.

I'm really hoping I have more time on the hydrangeas. If not it looks like there won't be much in the way of blooms this year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguy_(z6b PA)

I've always wandered this myself. Thanks for the post Jim. When I first planted my hydrangea outside it grew nicely. When the winter ended, and spring came, I was about to chop off all those dead looking branches, but noticed growth from them. Good thing I left it alone.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 10:31PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

I would leave them until later in summer when they are about to bloom and by then, you may find that you may not need to cut the cane all the way down, thus allowing you to increase the overall height.

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 8:23AM
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

As I understand it, different kinds of hydrangea have different fall pruning needs.

The classic old-fashioned Pee Gees and Annabelles bloom on new wood and need to be cut back almost to the ground so they don't get too floppy and big.

The fancy japanese hybrids bloom on old wood and shouldn't be pruned back hard because you'll cut off next year's buds.

And I don't prune my oakleaf hydrangeas at all.

I planted a bed of mixed hydrangeas three years ago and pruned like this for the first time last fall. So far the results look good.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™