Bears! Free to a good home!

llangrove(z5PA)May 4, 2008

Since moving to our home at the foot of the mountains, four years ago, I've learned to contend with the wild life, in my garden. But nothing prepared me for our new visitor, last week! A 300 pound black bear!

We've heard stories of bears frequenting our wooded neighborhood. They visit, looking for easy food sources. Like my bird feeders!

The Pennsylvania Game Commission placed a bear trap in my yard. Luckily, after only eight hours, the bear was trapped, safely. I understand he was going receive a new home in nearby Somerset County. Turn about is fare play, as nuisance bears from Somerset are relocated here, in Fayette County.

The Wildlife Control Officer "reassured" me, there's more where that one came from! I don't need to explain, why I've been constantly looking over my shoulder as I go about my garden work!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MollyDog(6 PA)

and here I get upset over voles

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 7:50AM
billinpa(6)

You will be fine unless you get between a mother and her cubs. Then you better be able to move fast ;) Bears are much more affraid of you then you are of them.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 2:48PM
llangrove(z5PA)

The Wildlife Control Officer said bears don't have a mean bone in their bodies! Rightfully, a sow will protect her cubs. It's just a nuisance taking the bird feeders inside each night.

Forget me out running a bear! There's no way I can run 1 MPH, let alone....40 MPH! It's hell to get old!

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 10:41PM
krenster

Yeah, it really puts my puny gardening efforts into perspective (the spraying to keep deer away, the staking of the floppy perennials, the careful twining upward of the vines) when I come out and some 400-pound sow has crashed through the yard. lol. The complete ruin they can leave behind!!!

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 12:04AM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

You are so lucky! I would love to see a bear in the wild!

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:10AM
billinpa(6)

sarah that really depends on the situation.

At our camp up in Elk county we had one try to come into the cabin at about 3am. it was spring time and it must have been hungry.

I was about 10 years old and remember clearly when we opened the wooden door. The bear stood up on its back legs. Its head was even with the top of the door. I screamed like a little girl and ran. LOL

There was a line of trash scattered all over the place.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 12:44PM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

I know. Too bad they don't eat deer.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™