Article 'Keep It Funny'

rosiew(8 GA)July 24, 2012

I subscribe to this gal, Jill Henderson's blog, and searched Gardenweb for the perfect spot to post. Think I found it.

Hope y'all enjoy.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozark's blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Rosiew, I enjoyed this blog -- thank you for thinking of us and taking the time to send it. She speaks truly, as our conditions are indeed "challenging" --
Sunny

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 8:59AM
rosiew(8 GA)

sunnyside, so glad you liked. Y'all's challenges are different from mine, for sure. Battling encroaching bermuda grass is the bane of my existence. And crabgrass! Try to garden organically.

Rosie in Georgia

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 9:28AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I enjoyed reading that. Jill Henderson has posted in this forum before although it's been awhile. Glad to hear she hasn't gotten tired of the Ozarks yet...or at least she hasn't moved away yet. I think everyone is tired of the Ozarks right now with the heat and drought.

Grasshoppers are thick in our hayfield. Nearly every year it looks like there's going to be a plague but I think a very small percentage make it to maturity without getting eaten - thank goodness.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 4:21PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Christie, nope, apparently she hasn't moved. Reading her blog know that they moved A LOT previously.

Tell me - what are the grasshoppers dining on? Have them here, but not thick. I'm in suburbia, 1/2 acre, lots of birds. Wish I wasn't so darned nearsighted. Would like to watch them munching on the hoppers. Do catch small ones and crickets and throw them into the golden orb spider webs. That is so neat to watch.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 5:37PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I've never thought about what they eat but our hayfield is so dry right now, it's a wonder I don't have more of them in my flower gardens instead. Maybe they like the dried seed heads in the hayfield. I drove back in our hayfield this week and my daughter laughed because when I pulled into the garage, I had a bunch of grasshoppers still riding on my hood.

Earlier this summer, I was seeing a couple turkeys in our field almost daily. Those things should be able to eat a lot of grasshoppers in a day - if that's what they eat.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™