Coconuts sprouting

crowdypoosterJanuary 25, 2014

I have what I think is an older Jamaican Tall coconut palm on my property. One of the coconuts that fell in the last few months is already sprouting! I would like to cultivate these "seeds" and grow as many of these as possible.

Are there any specific guidelines on how to best care for a coconut palm seedling? I have found ants on several of the coconuts, so I don't want that to be a recurrent issue.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

How do you mean "...found ants on several of the coconuts"? Ants run around all over the place so it's not unusual for them to climb over fallen coconuts. Unless you mean termites, sometimes referred to as White Ants. I've never had any problem from ants with coconuts. Termites, depending on species, definitely yes.

You can just lay coconuts flat on the ground where you want them to grow. The roots just pierce the husk and go straight down into the ground. If you want them in pots, it's the same thing, lay them flat on the soil. From there it's just like any plant, maintain moisture especially in hotter weather.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 9:02PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
They are fairly easy to sprout IF the seed is viable and kept warm. If in Florida you'll probably have the best luck after winter. I bury about half the husk in a fairly moist soil
Be patient have had them take a year !!
gary

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:20AM
crowdypooster

I am in Stuart, FL.

The ants may have been termites...they seem to have consumed much of the coconut. I will just keep a watchful eye for things like that. That was on coconuts that fell one year ago, so they may have been rotten to begin with.

I have taken roughly twenty of the coconuts and half-buried them as you described, Gary. I was surprised to see that one sprout after only 2-3 months. We will see how long these others take. I am in no hurry.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 11:38AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
i find palm seeds remarkable in the variation in the length of time to germination.. have had cocos in 2 months
while others can go a year . Among other types from 2 weeks to 27 months!! Most certainly require warmth especially cocos. gary

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:49AM
tropicbreezent

Was it just the husk the termites consumed, or did they get right inside as well?

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 3:19AM
More Discussions
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™