What kind of tree is this??

ArkieGirl72611July 28, 2013

I have only lived here 5 years and recently bought an old farm to live on. I moved here is November so everything was dormant. I want to wait a year before getting rid of anything...I want to be sure it is a weed and not a flower or something. I have discovered Osage Orange (big thorns), Black Walnut and Hickory Nut trees. I found what I believe is a wild plum tree. Gave it some careful nursing and it is producing lots of small plums.
The tree I cannot ID is quite tall and thin. It has fruit. It starts out green and quite round. If I wait until they fall to the ground, the look like a very large blueberry with a hint of green to it. There is no stone and the flesh looks like a brownish fig type texture, but I am not seeing a ton of seeds. I know we have figs here but they are suppose to be bushes. This thing is 20-25 feet tall. The deer are going crazy over these fruit. I put out a game camera and there are 6 to 10 bucks all trying to eat the fruit. What is it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ArkieGirl72611

Leaves

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 8:31PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

The fruit looks like an unripe persimmon. The fruit shouldn't be falling yet. Don't eat them until after a frost. The leaves don't look like persimmon leaves to me but I am going on memory. I identify persimmon by the bark which is reddish in the cracks.

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmon fruit

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 12:30AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I identify persimmon by the unique bark pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmon bark

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 12:33AM
gldno1

I agree with Helen. I have two in my yard....native persimmon.

Wait until the fruit is dark golden and very soft before tasting......usually after a hard frost.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:07AM
mosswitch

Good luck getting any of the fruit. Ain't nothin' happier than a possum in a persimmon tree! And they know just when they are ripe, too!

But persimmon bread is just to die for....

Sandy

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™