Hosta on Clearance Rack...

dicentra(z6B)June 13, 2007

Well, finally my timing made out to find prime hosta plants on the Lowes clearance rack (Whitman Plaza)...lol. I was in the store for something else, really, and I had to check out the garden section. To my surprise, they had big beautiful named hostas for $1.00 each in 2.75 qt. pots! OK, so they weren't five cents this time, but they were well worth the dollar to me. They were in prime shape, except for maybe a bent leaf, and some were 2 foot high. Although some varieties are older, they just shimmered in beauty with the raindrops over them...blues, chartreusses, gold standards, variegated...some of the ones I picked up were Patriot, Pilgrim, Gold Standard, Frances Williams (took 12 of these), Wide Brim, Mediovariegata, and some deeper blue ones I can't recall right now. Happy hunting...lol.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo(z6/7)

Be extremely cautious about planting anything from Lowe's near your existing hostas. Many of their plants are infected with Hosta Virus X which is easily transmitted. Gold Standard is particularly notorious.

Please read the following:

Here is a link that might be useful: hosta virus x info

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 12:18PM
dirtdivarocks(z6 SW PA)

I also love a bargain and have been able to pick up clematis for $1.oo a piece at Lowes last year. But caliloo is correct. I have seen hosta (Gold Standard) infected at Lowes last year and this year. Keep an eye on them.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 2:05PM
dicentra(z6B)

Thanks for the head's up. I keep most things aside for a year for that reason. My TLC area has recovering plants, shrubs and trees which have different needs. I finally cleared out my lilac bushes and roses from last year and got them planted. I'm going to keep an eye out for the clearance clematis vines now...lol.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 9:41PM
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

Jeez, I hadn't heard of that Hosta virus. I never quarantine new plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 10:39PM
dicentra(z6B)

The hostas were swept up when I returned to get more.....drats! I'm finding that everyday is a new clearance surprise at Lowes. Yesterday, I picked up some shrubs and 6 large containers of Tropicanna canna for $1.00 each. They also had the usual annuals for $0.05, like sweet potato vine (both colors), impatiens, purple fountain grass, petunias, bacopa, and some other things. I have to say that Lowes has been looking pretty good so far this season, with keeping plants watered and the nursery looking alive and abundant (other than their tree section). I hope they can keep it up throughout the summer.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 12:28PM
dirtdivarocks(z6 SW PA)

You go girl!! I stopped at the Lowes in my area today and not much was on clearance. The tropicanna canna is beautiful, and still selling for $12.98. I have had my eye on them. What a great deal!!

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 8:27PM
greengardener07

Dicentra,

I went there that afternoon also. I picked up about eight myself. I went right after work and went back later to get more. They had another 30-40 when I left. In two hours, they were gone! Someone got a real good steal there!

I also got a five gallon pot of Elephant Ears for $1.00!

If these are infected with that virus, how do you treat it and what does it look like?

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 1:10PM
caliloo(z6/7)

It is untreatable and spreads very easily. If you click the link I posted you can see several photos.

Alexa

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
Milkweed in SEPA
I'm interested in planting milkweed to attract butterflies,...
annld
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Sponsored Products
Angelia Wine Bar
Grandin Road
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Sandusky Garage Cabinets Elite Series
Home Depot
Sugarcane Bay Magazine Rack
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
3 Tier Towel Rack Chrome Finish Bathroom Accessory Fixture & Brackets
Hudson Reed
Black Metal Coat Rack
$24.99 | zulily
BAZZ 3 in. Recessed White LED Lighting Fixture with Designed for Ceiling Clearan
$39.99 | Home Depot
Corner Rack with Modern Style
Overstock.com
EdgeStar Stainless Steel/ Black 30-Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™