hard freeze in nor cal

ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)January 17, 2012

It reached a record 21.5F in my town. all plants are potted and most of the the soil was frozen solid! I had a majesty palm under a deck and a frost cloth over a robellini, i will probably see the damage(spear pulls)coming in the next few days. My queens look like they handled it okay but im worried about frozen soil since they are containerized. hopefully this is the last of the hard freezes for the season. i hope the rest of you in california had better luck than me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

Sorry to hear about that. Any potted palms should be brought in for a cold wave of that magnitude. You can get away with 29 for a few cold morning hours, but 21.5 is just too cold for potted plants b/c the pot freezes thru.

Looks like our cold air found you this year. Maybe next year it will be us going below normal. 21 is not bad for NYC in Jan but I have to cover my palms.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 3:52PM
james760

21*f also here this morning in socal but in the high desert!
hope most stuff survives for you.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 9:46PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I got 27F here at my house. My kentia looks pretty beat up but it should recover pretty soon. My majesty is all wrapped up so it should be just fine under the heavy burlap.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 12:45AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Those are some pretty cold temperatures. Majesty palms seem to do well down to about 26F, even one degree colder than that and they are toast in my experiences without protection. I left mine out through 3 light freezes (down to 30F) and it had no damaged at all.
-Alex

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 9:04PM
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

alex how long will it take for the damage to show in the majesty palm? the spear is still snug and the fronds have little discoloration.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 9:09PM
stanofh

As majestys get larger..they get hardier. We skirted freezing..in open areas of town dipped below. Thanks for urban warming the rest stayed at 33f..for about an hour. By 9am it was 40f . Majestys stayed ok.
The thing about them-they are almost deciduous palms..they have a great ability to grow many new fronds over a summer..even a summer where the ave high is just 75-77f.
The Howea is a zone buster for central cali-I hope he soon see's it trunking. Just keep watering!

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™