Flower or Weed?

johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)June 14, 2005

This year a "volunteer" that could be a weed showed up in my flower beds. I know a picture is worth a 1000 words, but I will try to describe this interesting plant in less. The foliage is a blue-green - somewhat like that of a carnation (we did have carnations planted in the area in the past). The foliage is tall - perhaps 18-24 inches. At the end of the flower stalks is an elongated capsule that opens to a nice yellow flower - somewhat like a dandelion flower. When the flower goes to seed, it forms a 3-inch fluff-puff ball similar to a dandelion seed ball which the wind will break apart to spread. Could it be one of the parent plants of the blue carnations, if the carnation was a hybrid? The plant is interesting and unusual with the blue-green foliage, the yellow flowers and the large, puffy seed ball. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Sounds like giant goatsbeard (Tragopogon Major) or salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius) both look like that. The giant puffballs are nice in dried arrangements whae sprayed with hair spray to keep them intact.

George

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 10:09AM
johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)

Very interesting. Thanks George! Here is a response (a quick one as well) from the National Home Gargening Club (NHGC) website Flower Forum:

What you have is a wild flower called "meadow salsify" or "yellow goatsbeard", sometimes called John-go-to-bed-at-noon because the flower head closes at midday. The greek generic name is TRAPOPOGON. I like them very much.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 11:07AM
zinnia_PA(z5PA)

I have had this in my garden for several years. When the first one appeared, I loved it, even encouraged it--but it is just too happy in my garden and has since tried to take over. Now, I pull it out every time I see it starting to come up.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™