Anyone had success with heucheras?

ozlifterMay 5, 2013

Today, my local Lowes had Fire Chief Coral Bells (heucheras) marked down from $14.98 to $3.00 each. They were very pretty, large, healthy plants, so I bought 10 of them.
I've really never had much success with heucheras before, though. Has anyone here grown them with much luck? Do you have any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bettycbowen(7)

I've had some I really liked then they all vanished. I just bought a couple.

I noticed Guthrie Green in Tulsa is landscaping with quite a lot of them in full sun. Looks like they have really good drainage there.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 8:32PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Mine are in pots. I do water them but they have survived two bad summers and winter doesn't bother them. I live in SW MO, Crystal Bridges in Bentonville or Rogers Ark. uses them in their landscaping.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 8:54PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

The Walton family has something to do with the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Rogers or Bentonville, Ark. They use them in their landscaping.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:04PM
OklaMoni

I had some when I lived in Tulsa. They would look GREAT in the spring, and then die back, and came back in the fall.

Never got any again... they took to much babying.

Moni

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:23PM
Lisa_H(7)

I have had them a couple of times, but they didn't live more than a couple of years. I have trouble with shade plants though.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:44PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

You have to divide them or they push up out of the ground. They are easy to divide. I have had different results with different varieties. The light yellow ones don't seem to be as tough for me. You grow them for the leaves so sometimes you have to clip off the ugly leaves. I don't think I have any plant that looks good all season. My hostas don't look good in the middle of summer. Day lilies are beautiful in June not so much late in summer. Spring bulbs have bloomed and now I have to put up with foliage. Heucheras look good as long as anything I grow. I don't put mine in full sun. They get some sun but are sheltered a part of the day.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 12:54AM
More Discussions
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
What would you plant right now?
Yeah. Well. I'm impatient and I'm tired of mah brain...
chickencoupe
Cross pollination of mixed packet of flower seeds?
If I have a packet of mixed carnations, for example,...
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™