Fruit trees in chester county?

silent1paJune 18, 2009

Does anyone know of any vendors selling fruit bearing trees in chester county? I would like to find several different species but ahbor buying online bareroot stock. I will be removing an 80+ year old apple tree (peco hacked it)and would like to put in a few dwarves to replace it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dedtired

Try Main Line Gardens on Paoli Pike. They have a very big selection of trees. I know Waterloo in Devon had some and the one in Exton may as well.

Yes, PECO is brutal on trees. I've seen a lot of their hatchet jobs around here.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 12:46PM
silent1pa

Thank you dedtired...I hadn't considered mainline until you mentioned them. I have a customer waiting on windows near Malvern prep so that will work out wonderfully.I hate to bring the old tree down but since it is so large I figure I'll make myself a new kitchen it.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 10:30AM
dedtired

I hope you find what you want there. I just enjoy wandering around that place. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 9:29PM
curdy(6-7)

Silent1pa, I just sent you an email. I live right around the corner from MLG. I'm interested to know what you did with the old apple tree (if you've removed it yet). Depending on what kind of shape its in, I myself, or a good friend may be interested in the lumber if you don't have plans for it. He's made some really neat projects with apple wood, and I myself am a woodworker as well. I could help cut it down if its not already.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 2:40PM
silent1pa

Hi curdy....If you don't mind I am gonna hang on to your e-mail address. I haven't taken either of the old apples down yet but they are measured and marked. Either way just the larger one appears to be almost three times the possible board foot than i am going to need. There is a going debate between myself and a friend as to the age of the tree. I assume it was planted around the late twenties when my house was built but he insists that it is much older.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™