who is snacking on my MGs?

MykarmaJune 14, 2005

Something is munching on my morning glory and sweet potato vine leaves, leaving small oval holes. This morning I've sprayed the damaged plants with organic insect-killing soap. Any suggestions who the culprits might be? Do you think the spray will be effective? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

Holes in the middle of the leaf sounds like slug damage. They won't climb very high, so once the Morning Glory vines get several inches tall (assuming they are climbing something) they will be OK. I don't know how effective soap is for slugs.

Alex

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 11:28AM
Mykarma

Thanks, Alex, but slugs I doubt--some of the affected leaves are several feet off the ground (yeah, they're climbing). I am so ignorant about bug damage. Are holes like this what aphids do?

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 11:41AM
Treehgr(z6/N. BUCKS, PA)

It is probably flea beetles. I have the same problem with my morning glory. They are a problem this time of year. The damage is mostly aesthetic; won't hurt the plant much unless you have a really bad infestation and then you may get stunted growth. The beetles usually go away by summer, no spray needed.

Aphids are sucking insects. They would cause the leaves to wilt in direct sunlight--plus you'd see them on the plants (green, or black soft bodied insects--yuck).

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Any bear sitings or tracks in the mud?
My friend cleared her back yard out to build a garage,...
poaky1
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™